Time management is one of the most useful tools invented by humans. Why is it so important to plan your day to utilize time efficiently?
Many centuries ago time used to just flow. And then someone has decided to separate it into months, years and minutes. Why does a week have 7 days? Who decided that there are 12 months in a year?
I like to think that we have created time as a tool to conquer it. We need time management in order to make plans and strategies, to have opportunity to evaluate results and correct the plan of action.
Time planning and spontaneity.
I have friends who hate to make plans. They tell me that they prefer their life to be spontaneous and interesting.
“I don’t want to be held hostage to a plan on a piece of paper”.
“when Universe sends me a sign, I want to have the ability to see it. And an empty time slot in my schedule. If my day is all planned out, where will I fit anything new and how will I show up in a creative way?”
I disagree completely. Years of planning have taught me to plan for this and to leave time for creativity in my life. When it is my creative time, I know my brain is going to be in the right place and not somewhere else thinking about my to do list. I have learned to utilize time and know that there is time for work and time for play.
Spontaneity always looks the same – endless TV shows on a sofa or overconsumption of food and alcohol.
Why is this so? Because thoughts about our to do list never leave our brain, even when we are seemingly relaxing. So instead of thinking about our life, our plans or what we want to achieve for ourselves we want to take our mind off it and consume TV or social media.
Unwillingness to plan and solve problems usually ends up in a vicious cycle of addiction (whether its alcohol, food, gambling, pornography or consuming content), anxiety and guilt.
Why is it important to plan your time?
There are two ways you can show up in life. You can be proactive or reactive.
Proactive person takes responsibility for their own life. They decide which direction they want to go and how to get there. They decide what is possible for them.
Reactive person is a person who does not wan to take responsibility. They spend all their time reacting to events which happen “to them”.
Proactive person can “create time” and events, live in the moment and enjoy every second of their life.
Reactive person never has enough time because it is allocated to them. They spend their life in “victim” mentality and being anxious about things which are, seemingly, beyond their control.
How to plan and utilize time: a step-by-step guide.
Most important rule – IF IT’S NOT ON PAPER IT WILL NOT GET DONE!
What you need to do:
- Allocate one hour of time in a quiet place with a notepad and a pen. Turn off ALL notifications.
- Put everything you need to do from your brain onto paper. You can do it for this week, month and year.
- This will clear up more room in your brain for the stuff on the “back shelf”, that’s been sitting there forever. Checkups with a doctor, dental appointments, anniversary gifts, vacation plans etc. Keep writing everything down.
- Now think about your desires, things you never have time for. What did you dream of doing as a child? What was the language you always wanted to learn?
- The desires go on a separate column. Allocate at least 2 weekly hours to each of your desires. Choose these hours in advance and agree, that this time is now non-negotiable.
- Use your calendar to allocate time for everything in your to-do list. Block off reasonable chunks of time. I prefer to use the calendar in my phone, because I take my phone everywhere.
- Allocate one hour of time at the end of the week to plan for next week (I prefer to do this on Sunday morning).
- Don’t forget about rest time! You need to plan this too. Like watching a movie or reading a book with your kids. Quality alone time with your partner. Coffee with a girlfriend.
- Make sure to do absolutely everything you have planned each week. Start slow to build up a sense of time and how much you can do within an hour.
Most importantly, be kind to yourself. Promise yourself to do everything possible in order to get everything done. This way you will build up trust in yourself which will only get stronger with time. You will start knowing that you have your own back and that you can utilize time wisely. Because of all the energy that will free up, you will start to dream more!! Set bigger goals!
Unfinished tasks are a biggest cause of anxiety in the world.
This means that
Planning time is a form of self-care.
With time, you will get a sense of comfort. That there is time for everything in your life. That you have thought of everything and have not forgotten anything important. That you know how to take care of yourself.
You do not need to be anywhere else, only where you are right now.
If you have questions for me or need help on how to utilize time, let me know! Reach me on email@example.com!